Being home alone doesn’t mean having cereal or take out for dinner. This quick and easy Yellow Curry is ready in about 20 min and packed full of fresh veggies. I always keep a jar of Thai curry paste in the fridge and a can of low fat coconut milk in the cupboard. All you need are the veggies and some brown rice and your’e ready for a deliciously spicy, healthy and hearty meal.
I love cooking, mostly for a large group of people, that way I can make many dishes and flex my culinary skills 😉 So when I am home alone, cooking just for myself, I’m not as inspired to create something amazing. Having simple ingredients on hand makes coming up with dishes for one simple and less labor intensive (hey, cooking for one means there is no one else to share the clean up!).
- 1 tbsp of Thai Curry Paste (yellow, red or green)
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 3 baby eggplants, about 3/4 cup chopped
- 2 heads of baby bok choy (or 1/2 cup of chopped cabbage)
- 3 shitaki mushrooms, chopped
- 1 handful of sugar snap peas (or green beans)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh Thai basil or regular basil will do
- 1/2 cup of low fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water or coconut water
- 1 tbsp of tamari sauce (thats Gluten Free soy sauce)
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 clove of garlic, diced fine
- Plus a portion of cooked brown rice for one (about 1/2 cup of brown rice, I used basmati, 1 cup water, simmer for about 15 min, lid on)
- Wash and chop all of the veggies except the sugar snap peas, leave them whole.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the oil and curry paste. Cook for about 1 min.
- Add in all of the veggies except the peas and bok choy, plus the garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for about 3 min.
- Add in the coconut milk and water. Cook for about 5 min.
- Add in the peas and bok choy, cook for a further 2 min.
At this point you can add a little corn starch to thicken it, as I water down my coconut milk to keep the fat content down, but you can thicken it back up if you prefer.
Heap some brown rice into a bowl and pour on the hearty veggie curry and you’re delicious dinner for one is ready! Much better than a bowl of Special K right?? 🙂